The First Girl Scout Headquarters building, formerly the carriage house for Juliette Low’s adult home, was willed to the Girl Scouts of Savannah, GA, Inc. upon Juliette’s death in 1927. The building was in continuous use for Girl Scout Troop activities, adult training, and administrative offices from 1912 until 1985, when the staff moved the Council office to 428 Bull Street. The Junior League of Savannah leased the building while the Council determined how it could be utilized best. On January 15, 1996 the First Headquarters building reopened to the public as a Girl Scout museum, program center and Council shop. In December 2002, First Headquarters closed for remodeling. On March 1, 2003 the First Headquarters Program Activity Center reopened. It offers exciting interactive educational experiences for Girl Scouts and the community!
First Headquarters houses the Council’s archives, available in the future for research purposes. Older Girl Scouts from our Council are encouraged to provide service as Program Aides for the facility; a Council’s Own Badge program, Daisy’s Neighborhood, is available for Brownie to Senior Girl Scouts to help them learn about the history of Girl Scouting.Troops/Groups may make an appointment to conduct a special ceremony in the reception area or the courtyard. Volunteer opportunities for adults include shop support, historical display interpretation, program delivery, and historical research.